Monday, June 22, 2009

Really ... Driving Back To My Childhood

Went to bed at 8pm like I said before. Woke up three hours later. Didn’t go back to sleep until 4:30am -ish. Mosquito bites are going to be the death of me. They hurt so bad. Was on Facebook and taking random photos until I got tired. So five hours later I finally got some sleep again. For one hour. And then a few more minutes until 6:30am. And then slept until 11am.

Something was bothering me, obviously. I knew what it was but I'm scared of what the outcome will be. I had something else to say to Jon that I didn’t know how he would swallow it. I left him a message on Facebook at 11:33am and he responded back around noon. The same time that I left that town. There is no turning back. I can’t retract what I said. Just friends. That hurts.

I checked out of my Holiday Inn Express and left Socorro at noon. I was glad to be leaving Socorro and happy to be heading toward White Rock, 170 miles away. It was just shy of a three hour drive to my old town. The closer I got the more excited I was. Here is the route I took:


It was fun driving here because I saw landmarks that I remember as a kid, namely the Santa Fe Opera House (we went and saw an opera there once), Camel Rock (it looked smaller than I remember but it really does look like a camel), and NM-4 right before you get to White Rock.

And then I got to White Rock. I am amazed at how this place is still the same, yet different. Next to the LDS church there used to be a forest of sorts. Now it’s developed and there is a neighborhood there. And all of the “theme” parks are that plastic rubber playground equipment. There is no Cinderella Park (complete with orange rocking couch, and swings, and the coolest thing here, the merry-go-round thing); it’s rubber ground, no swings, equipment looks funny where the once was a playground with sand. That used to be our favorite park. The one next to our old house is changed to. It used to be Cowboy and Indian Park. And Rocket Ship Park (next to the Smith’s and post office) is still called Rocket Ship Park but the sign is the only thing that has a rocket ship. The playground is the same as all the others. It used to have a metal rocket ship right smack in the middle of the park. I remember it being really tall and it had two slides, one mid way up and one farther up. Actually maybe there was only the one slide. But you could climb (using stairs inside) all the way to the top. And if you were a daredevil like my brothers you could climb to the tip of the rocket by climbing up the inside. lol. I haven’t gone by to see if the “hidden park” is still the same or not. I’m guessing they changed Submarine Park to be like the rest. We never really went to that park as kids. Either we couldn’t always remember how to get to it or it was too far away. One of the two. lol. I just thought it was hidden, you have to go through a whole neighborhood and then a pathway that’s on a dead end. It was really hard to remember how to get there. At least for my eleven year old mind. lol.

But let’s back up a tad … when I got to White Rock I drove around and decided to stop by Overlook Park (which by the way is exactly the same) and took a look at the overlook. lol. I took a few photos. The Rio Grande down in the canyon made me happy.


At that point I called Mom to let her know I was in White Rock. I hadn’t decided where I was going to stay for the night and Mom suggested I talk with the Peterson’s. I drove to Smith’s and got some anti-itch spray because my many mosquito bites were driving me crazy. I decided at that point that I didn’t want to impose on anyone so went and got a room for the night at the Hampton Inn and Suites. (Something funny in Socorro I was in room 128 and here in White Rock I am in room 129, and they are very similar in arranging of the rooms. lol.)

At around 7:30pm I drove by the “boat house” and to the Canyon and took a few more photos. That house, by the way, really does look like it’s a boat. It was awesome as a kid! I also wished my headache would go away because at that point it was turning into a migraine.

Well, one hour later and I’m eating a late dinner and then going to bed.

1 comment:

  1. You should have come and stayed with us! We would have loved to have seen you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I appreciate your thoughts a bunch.

Krysta

=)