Sunday, June 21, 2009

Playing New Mexican Chess

Today I woke up at 8:30am. I got in the shower and actually had time to eat breakfast. lol. I wasn’t terribly hungry so I just ate some eggs with salsa and a banana, which was really good. I got a mosquito bite last night near my elbow and it really hurts this morning. Today I thought I’d go check out the plaza that Jon told me about last night.

I am listening to Chess (again). I feel like I’ve listened to this every day since I got it. I think I might have listened to it twice on some days. Like on Wednesday when I actually watched it on PBS. It is an amazing musical. The music is fabulous. It’s right up there with Phantom and Les Mis on my list. Chess is a fairly new one to me so we’ll see if it stands the test of time. So far it’s working for me. (BTW, I love the click of my nails against the keys. I think it is just so much fun. I’ve always liked that sound. People think it’s hard to type with long nails but it really isn’t.) I love Josh’s laugh! “My wife … Come to Bangkok … No.” “Surely you knew.” “I did not!” If you listen to the lyrics of Chess it’s so poignant and deep. I have cried many a times since listening to this musical. The first time, certainly, and when I saw it on TV. Some songs just really get to me. And then when you actually stop and think about what the story is. It’s a tragic love story played out beautifully. I would love to see this musical actually played out on stage, not just the concert version. I wonder why they haven’t revived it. I suppose it’s not known enough to actually have people come and see it for very long. Well, if you get Josh Groban to play Anatoly again I’m sure you’d get every Grobanite to come! lol. The cast of this concert version is great! Josh as Anatoly Sergievsky, Adam Pascal as Frederick Trumper, Idina Menzel as Florence Vassy, Marti Pellow as the Arbiter, Clarke Peters as Walter de Courcy, David Bedella as Alexander Molokov, and Kerry Ellis as Anatoly’s wife Svetlana Sergievsky. With the music composed by one of the finest men in musicals you can’t go wrong. Tim Rice and Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson wrote this musical.

I went down to San Antonio this morning. lol. New Mexico, not Texas, it’s about eight miles from Socorro. Well, actually a little past there to the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge. It was nice and quiet. Very hot though. I got back around noon. It was a fun two hours detour out of Socorro. There was a cactus garden near the visitor center which I stopped by before I drove the tour loop. Here are some pictures I took.






















I took an hour long nap and headed over to Tami’s at 6 for a BBQ. Jon met us there after he got off work. It was so much fun. I didn’t leave until two in the morning. Everyone was having so much fun. I took a nap during the movie, I think we all did. lol. We’ll see if I wake up in time for nine o’clock church or not. lol.

I talked to Jon via Facebook for an hour, which was a ton of fun. So I didn’t go to bed until three in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I appreciate your thoughts a bunch.

Krysta

=)